Friday 4 June 2010

Be One With Your Bike

Funk is in and so is getting a professional bike fit. Wow what a difference a few good tweaks can make.
I finally took the time today to see the man in the know, Bill Fry at http://www.trekbikesvictoria.com/ also known as Pro City Racing.
No more get on the bike and ride. Now it’s get on the bike and perform!
They knew I was coming, I booked the appointment two days earlier. I roll in and my bike is fitted onto a windtrainer. Bill follows shortly. My shoes laced up he asks me to climb on. I sit and complain about what I know I don’t like. He watches me pedal. Like a good thinker he sits and analyzes. Then he takes out a long bendy ruler it looks like. Measures up my leg. Has me stick my pedal stroke in one spot while he dangles a plum line.
Out come the tools. The seat height changes. So does the seat positioning. More measuring. Another plum line. Then some adjustments to the handlebars. A tilt.
Now I’m sent out for a ride. My cockpit is tight. I like it. I do a block of roady and thank the dude. The true test will be to see how I perform at “Hard Rock Hartland.” The local trails also known as “The Dump.”
Night and day. I have a grasp for climbing, I am tilting in unison. I am one with my bike. What a difference a bike fit can make.
I return to spread my happiness. Stoked and ready for tomorrow’s xc marathon ride at the North Shore Bike Festival WOOT WOOT!

No comments: